Sunday, July 5, 2009

Some snaps from Lake Superior







When we lived in San Diego, I had the realization that everything looks better in the sun. If you go to a crummy neighborhood the deterioration matters less when you see it in the sun. But on Lake Superior I realized that the fog also changes how we see. When I started my early morning walk on the first day, near our lodge and at the end of the road, the fog danced around the lake, coming down briefly to pirouette on the edges of the woods and then draped itself heavily over the road as i headed away from the lake. Every space looked different depending on where the fog was when I looked at. The next morning, the sun lit the lake and it was as if I was some place else. It was beautiful but not as interesting as the fog grazed landscape had been the day before. The fog added mystery and depth. Sun illuminates but doesn't allow for secrets. it amazes me how much different the same place can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment