Thursday, July 30, 2009

Figs, Boston






Figs, Boston
Tonight, us girls (sans marci who had boy duty—where are those husbands?) were doing a girl’s night. We were going to start with cocktails (mocktails for the girls), dinner at Figs and then a movie. Cocktails were a bit disrupted when the only room at the hotel restaurant was at the bar and the girls weren’t allowed to sit there. Eventually, we did get a seat and the girls had Shirley Temples and I had a glass of wine.
The walk to the restaurant was nice. It wasn’t horribly hot at 7pm and the neighborhood the restaurant was in was quite nice. It is an older neighborhood that is famous, Beacon Hill. So it was fun to walk through the neighborhood, about 1 mile from the hotel.
Figs itself is very small and narrow with tables along one wall, a few tables in the front and a bar and open kitchen where you can see the wood burning stove for the pizzas and, in the back, the other food is cooked. Our wait was about fifteen minutes. We could have gotten a reservation but I didn’t realize it so we had to wait. We sat outside for a bit, just enjoying the city scene.
The menu had lots of yummy options so it was hard to make a choice. They have several salads from the traditional Caesar to a beet salad and one with spinach and bacon. Several seafood appetizer choices, pastas and pizzas. The pizzas are very thin crust, almost crispy even through the center. Lauren ordered a Caesar salad and spaghettini with meatballs and marinara. Asha ordered Asparagus risotto with tomato and shrimp and I ordered a beet salad to share with Asha (good thing because it was huge) and a prosciutto/fig pizza.
Lauren’s Caesar salad looked fine and she ate it all but I didn’t try it. Her pasta was excellent for a basic pasta style. The sauce was very flavorful and not acidic as tomato sauces can be (much better than our lunch pasta) but, ironically, it had that green container parm on it. Asha really liked her risotto but I thought it had too many things going on. The beet salad was quite tasty and lightly dressed. It had tons of beets in it, onion, walnuts and even some fried onion and goat cheese.
The pizza was very tasty and huge, enough for three people probably. I put my first piece on my plate and then Lauren knocked over my wine onto it and down both my legs and into my shoe. Thank goodness I was not wearing my white pants or my good shoes.
The service was almost too ingratiating but at the same time rather sloppy. I’m saying that even though they comped me my salad after they brought me the wrong one. But, the waiter had a level of familiarity that wasn’t comfortable for my level of boundaries. He winked at Asha and kind of acted like he and I were in a conspiracy with the little girls or something. Then, after the wine spilled he didn’t even wipe off the table except with Lauren’s napkin so wine was still dripping on the floor and anything we set on the table got wine on the bottom of it.
Overall, I would definitely like to return. I think it wouldn’t work if you had more than four people.

No comments:

Post a Comment