Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Winnipeg, really






So, this was my intended schedule today (I have an intended schedule for each day)
6-7 walk
7-8 breakfast
8-10 walk the town
10-12 Manitoba museum
12-1:30 lunch
1:30-4 wander the Forks, explore Manitoba museum
4-5 tea/coffee
5-6 hang out at hotel and blog
6-8 dinner
8-10 6 feet under (Asha and I are watching the series)

So, first off I didn't get up until 8:30!!!! This is the latest I've slept the whole trip. I blame this on the 19hours of driving over the last two days which must be more exhausting than walking 10 miles because I certainly haven't slept that late after our hikes. I jumped out of bed, dazed and confused. Half the day was gone already! Somehow, I managed to recover, ate a quick breakfast, got dressed and hit the streets at 9:15--only a bit behind schedule (I'd have to walk faster, that's all). So I headed out to make a circuit of the city (I like to see as much of a city as I can walking) then I'd hit the museum, come back and get Asha and go do lunch (surprisingly, asha was still sleeping when I left at 9:15--she does not seem to worry about losing hours).
So, I headed first for the river (The Assinboine and the Red river run through Winnipeg and their intersection is called "the forks"). Well, the river had runneth over so much that the river walk was closed (and, I have to say, the river area looked really seedy and I didn't really want to walk down there). But I walked along the street abutting the river to the government area which had some nice gardens, statues and stone buildings with cupola's (as most city government buildings have). Then I headed over to Osborne village which I had read was a trendy area. it looked a bit like a run down seedy strip of restaurants, bars and massage parlors. Hmm. it did have a safeway, however, and I made a quick stop there to get a few snacks (there are no hot fries in canada in case you are wondering and still no unsweetened tea).
then I wondered back towards downtown and decided to go up Broadway this time. Lining the street were all these great lunch trucks. I love those places. It's such a great way to sell food. I want to have a truck someday to drive around and sell food from. Anyway, I didn't buy any of the food but I enjoyed looking at it. I was hungry by now and the hotel was nearby so I thought I'd stop by and see if Asha wanted to go with me to the museum (she didn't). But, she did want to go have lunch, so she was willing to go to the museum with me as a precursor to lunch. Somehow, however, when we went outside the hotel, we headed in the other direction from the museum and ended up at the forks where we luckily found some healthy food we could eat in the crappy food court in the crappy tourist attraction. Asha pointed out the second museum on my list but we both acknolwedged that it existed and bypassed the doors. As we were eating it occurred to me that if I really wanted to know about Manitoba (and I did and in fact I did actually know quite a bit already from READING about it--which has never bothered me as a means to learn about something as much as going to museums) I just needed to go back to the hotel and look at my notes. Thus relieved, we bypassed the museums, did a bit of a walk over to the St. Bonaventure district (the French Catholic area of winnipeg) where we thought we'd find a nice little french cafe and have a tea. But all we found were little crappy stores and chain restaurants.
Back to the hotel where we read, played on the computer and got ready for dinner. Such are the attractions of Winnipeg.

1 comment:

  1. no hot fries? perhaps i will stay home! I don't know i bet you missed something BIG at the museum. So why does Winnipeg exist? Manufacturing, crafts? What did you learn?

    ReplyDelete