Sunday, June 21, 2009

hood river part II



We ate at the best restaurant so far on the trip last night. It was called Nora's Table. Just looking at the menu was exciting, but I've had lots of poor meals from great looking menus, so I tried not to get my hopes up. It was a small plates place but the servings ended up being amazingly large (so we are lucky to have leftovers tonight even if it means running down to the motel lobby to heat the food in the microwave!). We ordered an assortment of things: grilled ceasar salad which made the lettuce have these little caramelized egdes and a smoky taste that went great with the overpowering garlicky, anchovy salad dressing, the copious quantities of shredded parm and the crisp potato crisps. We also ordered the fish tacos which were so tasty with a light chipotle sauce and fresh, crisp cabbage on a homemade corn tortilla with a tasty piece of fish. We savored every bite of these two delicacies. I had ordered a Maryhill winery Sauvignon blanc that I was saving to drink with the main courses (Indian flavors).
Asha ordered the lamb ragout with polenta which probalby would have been fantastic but it paled compared to the first courses and Mom and mine main courses. Mom had chicken coconut curry with naan and rice and asparagus! The curry was slightly sweet with flavors like star anise, and cinnamon and a bit of red pepper. It was rich, fully flavored and tasty. The chicken was shredded. I had lamb kofta with cucumber raita. The raita was excellent, tangy and crispy and sweet with bites of cuke (I usually don't get excited about Raita, but this was great) and the lamb was like a lamb sausage. Great.
the atmosphere was simple with white tableclothes covered with butcher paper that nearby kids were drawing on, and the room only held about 8 tables. I never really got to drink my mine because I was so psyched about the food and Asha and Mom weren't really thrilled about waiting for me to finish it after the meal was over.
Highly recommend this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment